How to Get Help from the Counseling Department

  • Parents/Guardians may call and speak to their child's counselor between 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
  • Please call to schedule an appointment with your child's counselor if you would like to meet with them or to arrange a parent-team conference.
  • Students may schedule an appointment with their counselor by completing a Counseling Appointment Request form and giving it to the counseling secretary. These request forms are available from your child's teachers and from the Counseling Department.

What Parents Need to Bring for Enrollment

  • Updated immunization records (Immunization Requirements)
  •  Proof of residency: You need 2-one must be a contract or lease, and the other a bill showing your current address
  •  Proof of custody, if applicable
  •  Birth certificate
  •  Current or last report card
  •  Any evaluations - standardized test scores, etc.
  •  Special Education papers - IEP, 504, BIP, etc.
  •  Any medical concerns

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I talk with my child's teachers?
Each teacher has an email address on Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School for Innovation's staff directory. You may email or phone the school office and leave a message for a specific teacher to return your call. If you need a conference, please call your child’s counselor and the counselor will schedule a parent/teacher conference with all of the academic teachers.

Can I get my schedule changed?
Students may elect to add/drop an elective course (if available) during the first 5 days of Semester 1, and the first 5 days of Semester 2. The exception to this is when the change is deemed academically necessary, such as dropping or enrolling in special education services.

Who do I contact to get homework when my student is going to be absent?
Please call the middle school counseling office early in the morning so that there is sufficient time to contact teachers and gather materials. When you call the counseling office for homework there is a 24 hour wait before you may pick up assignments. If your child knows he/she is going to be absent in advance, they should talk to each one of their teachers to find out about assignments.

When do report cards come out?
You will receive a report card for your student a approximately a week after the end of each nine week grading period ends. If for some reason you don't receive your student's progress report or grade card, please contact your child’s counselor.