Population: 225 students
Mascot: American Bald Eagle
School Colors: Black and Gold
From the Lynchburg Expressway, take 501 North business. Turn left at second light. Pass Westover Dairy on the right, take the next right onto Oakley Avenue. Turn right onto Mansfield Avenue. Thomas C. Miller Elementary School for Innovation is on the right.
8:35 a.m.-3:35 p.m.
Our school year consists of two semesters; four grading periods of nine weeks each.
Partners in Education
- Architectural Partners
- High Peak Sportswear
- Kiwanis Club
- Lynchburg Fire & EMS Department, Miller Park Station, Shift B
- West Lynchburg Baptist Church
- Westover Dairy
- Waggin’ Tails - Therapy Dogs International
- A philosophy that all children are gifted and can learn
- Teaching strategies are geared toward meeting the individual learning styles of students
- Emphasis on higher order thinking and diverse learning styles
- Full inclusion for Special Education students, as appropriate
- Emphasis on math, science, the arts, and technology
- Uninterrupted blocks of instruction for core subjects
- Use of art, music, and movement education to support core academics through creative and hands-on activities
- Small group instruction, team teaching, and collegial planning
- Enrichment activities open to all students
T. C. Miller averages two classes per level for grades Kindergarten through 5. We have full-time resource teachers for Media, STREAM, Music, Movement, Art, and Title I. The faculty includes full-time special education teachers, a half-time speech teacher, full-time school counselor, and part-time violin teacher. We also have four full-time teaching assistants, and a cafeteria and custodial staff.
Thomas C. Miller is named for Thomas Cecil Miller, a former Lynchburg City Schools Latin teacher and principal. The traditional three-story building constructed in 1932 was renovated and reopened in 1993 as Thomas C. Miller Elementary School for Innovation, the division's first magnet school. It has 14 classrooms, an office, media center, auditorium complete with stage, science lab, music room/piano lab, and cafeteria. The curriculum emphasizing reading, math, science, technology, and the arts is delivered in an integrated approach. Thomas C. Miller draws a percentage of its students from the surrounding neighborhood, and the rest are selected from voluntary lottery application.
Registration & Application Information
Click here for information about registering your student with LCS.
Click here for more information about the application process for students outside of the T. C. Miller attendance zone.