Are you looking for an early childhood experience designed to equip your child with solid foundational skills to best prepare them for success in kindergarten? Lynchburg City Schools is the place for you. LCS offers Pre-K programming for eligible children who are 3 and 4 years old by September 30, 2023 that live in the city of Lynchburg.
About our Pre-K Programs
- The LCS Pre-K programs are grant funded through the Virginia Preschool Initiative. Eligible students participate in this free whole day program 5 days a week in accordance with the LCS elementary school calendar.
- Children in LCS Pre-K programs are cared for and taught by knowledgeable licensed teachers and staff with skills to support their development and learning.
- LCS Pre-K programs focus on preparing children for Kindergarten and beyond. The State approved curriculum provides the necessary literacy, math, self-regulation, and social emotional skills needed to be successful in school and life.
- Students in the program are offered breakfast, lunch through our LCS school nutrition program and LCS transportation if needed.
- Programs are contingent upon funding & program locations are subject to change.
- The following LCS schools offer Pre-K programming:
- Hutcherson Early Learning Center
- Paul Munro Elementary
- Perrymont Elementary
- Robert S. Payne Elementary
Timeline for Application Season
The program is available for children ages 3-4 years old by September 30, 2023 and meets eligibility criteria in accordance with the Virginia Preschool Initiative Guidelines.
Step 1: Application Submission
Beginning February 1, 2023, complete and submit an online application for the select program. Note, submission of an application does not guarantee placement in our LCS program.
Step 2: Eligibility Notification
Beginning in April, applicants will receive an email notifying of their eligibility status
Step 3: Collection of Verified Documents
April/May, eligible applicants will be asked to submit documentation.
- Child’s Original Birth Certificate (Application for Birth Certificate - Vital Record)
- School Physical Form (School Entrance Physical Examination Form)
- Updated Immunization Record (Immunization Requirements)
- Proof of Income (pay stubs, W2, letters of assistance and support you receive with the amount indicated on the letter; SNAP, TANF, SSI, WIC, etc.)
Step 4: Pre-K Student Screening appointment
Beginning in May, eligible students will receive an email to set up a screening appointment June 5-9, 2023. All eligible students for the 2023-24 school year need to attend a screening appointment.
Step 5: Acceptance Notification
Parents/guardians of accepted students will receive an email notification beginning in June and continuing throughout the summer months or until all program allocations have been filled. Students found eligible after all program allocations have been filled will be placed on a waiting list.
Need assistance completing your application? Don’t have access to a computer or reliable internet? We are here to help. Please call (434) 515-5250 ext. 25210. Leave your name and number and someone will contact you to help you through the application process.
Direct any questions regarding this information to:
Mrs. Renee Anderson
409 Perrymont Avenue
Lynchburg, VA 24502
[email protected] or (434) 515-5250 ext. 25210